Don’t you just love shopping? Don’t you just hate shopping for someone else? It’s so hard to find the perfect gift. Sometimes we see what we think is the perfect gift for someone but really we are picking what WE think is perfect and not what THEY think is perfect. Wow, tongue twister.
What is the best way to do reduce gift shopping time, returns and mostly disappointment? Ask. Yep. Ask, “What do you want for Christmas.” If you get the standard “Oh, you don’t have to get me anything” (yeah right) or “I’ll be happy with anything you give” answers. Don’t believe it. Keep prying.
If you decide to go the mall route here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- DON’T wait until the last minute.
- Shop in off times. First thing in the morning, after the lunch hour, supper time.
- Wear a warm sweater and leave the jacket at home. You can tie the sweater around your waist to have your hands free while shopping and you won’t overheat.
- Bring healthy snacks like chopped up apples in a Ziploc bag. You’re already going to be dipping into the holiday treats so some healthy snacks while shopping instead of the fries is worth the few minutes to cut up the apple or orange.
- Wear comfy shoes.
- Prepare a list before you go of who you need to buy for.
- Stick to the list.
- Go shopping alone to maintain your focus.
- Don’t shop for yourself.
- Be polite and appreciative to cashiers and sales people (Christmas is a long season for them and they can use all the brightening up they can get).
- Drive safe.
Good luck in your shopping adventures.
Originally published 11/26/2004 at Large & Lovely, BellaOnline.