Here are three quick do-it-yourself (DIY) costumes:
Bag of Jelly Bellies
- Equipment: Large clear garbage bag, bag of colorful balloons, thick satin ribbon, white tights, shorts and t-shirt.
- Directions: Hold plastic bag up to yourself with opening of bag at head. Mark spot for the thickness of your thighs on bottom edge. Mark on sides for location and thickness of your arms (it might be easier to lay the plastic flat on the floor and lie on it). Try bag on to make sure you can comfortable get legs and arms in. It should come up high enough that you can bunch the opening of the bag around your neck and tie into place with the red satin ribbon. Blow up the balloons a quarter full so they are still a deep color but big enough to take up space in your jelly bean bag. Blow up enough to fill your bag but not too full because you want to be able to move around comfortable. If you want or need to be able to sit then you can cut one hole at the bottom of the bag (instead of two) for your butt to fit through then tuck the edge of the plastic into your shorts to make sure your jelly beans are secure. Put on fun bright makeup and you are ready to go.
- Bonus: Carry a bag of real jelly beans in your purse to hand out to people you like — they are always good for a smile.
- Equipment: Scrubs from second hand store. Red make-up
- Directions: Make tiny cuts in scrubs (not too many) then extend them into small tears like someone has clawed at them. Apply red makeup to edges. Make your face bloody from with make-up from eating people.
- Equipment: Cotton shirt, bow tie, dress pants, belt (optional), calculator, dark rimmed glasses, fun print socks, loafers, and calculus textbook — all items that can be found at second hand store or closets.
- Directions: Button the shirt right up to top, and add the bow tie. Slip the calculator in the shirt pocket along with a pen. Put on pants, pull up higher than normal and fasten with belt. Roll up cuffs once or twice to expose socks (you might have to press pant cuffs into place. Put on the rimmed glasses and carry your calculus book.
If you do not want to go to the trouble of making your costume, Buy Costumes ships up to the last few days before Halloween.
* Where to Buy Halloween Costumes
* DIY Zombie make-up on a budget